Position Opening for Director of Education at First Congregational Church of River Edge
First Congregational Church of River Edge, New Jersey, is seeking a creative and energetic person to lead our educational programs for all ages. The suburban church, located 15 miles from New York City, is a congregation of the United Church of Christ.
Qualifications include vibrant Christian faith, dedication to a mainline church, administrative gifts, love for people and the ability to inspire and motivate.
For a full position description, please see our website: www.fccriveredge.org. Resumes may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or Search Team, First Congregational Church, 109 Continental Avenue, River Edge, NJ 07661.
Director of Christian Education
- The Director of Christian Education at the First Congregational Church of River Edge, New Jersey, shall be a person whose commitment to Christ and the Church is evidenced in daily living and work.
- The Director shall oversee, coordinate, provide resources, train and enable those involved in the church’s youth, family and educational ministries.
- The Director shall help youth grow and develop by encouraging their participation in the total ministry of the church: worship, learning, witness, service and support.
- The Director shall expand opportunities for study, learning and fellowship throughout the congregation.
- Christian commitment in life and work.
- An active member of a Christian Church: basic understanding of Reformed/Congregational theology, or willingness to learn and be committed to teaching it.
- College degree preferred or equivalent experience with any of the following emphases: education, Christian education, youth ministry, Bible, or religion.
- Experience in Christian education and/or youth ministry at the congregational level.
- Possess strong skills in organization, group process, and leadership.
- Willingness to participate in continuing education opportunities.
- Ability to relate well and develop rapport with both youth and adults.
- Ability to plan, organize, lead, introduce and implement new activities and delegate responsibilities.
- Ability to motivate and bring energy, enthusiasm, initiative, and creativity to youth and learning ministries.
- Ability to integrate computer resources into the Christian Education program.
- Develop and execute year-round youth, family and educational programs in conjunction with Pastor and Education Team.
- Acquire and adopt curriculum materials for pre-school through high school.
- Recruit, train and supervise Church School staff.
- Recruit and train youth group advisors and oversee the group’s activities.
- Supervise “special” worship services in which children participate, and coordinate presentation of children’s message during Sunday worship.
- Promote and publicize youth, family, and educational ministries within the church and community.
- Promote and publicize church camps and conferences.
- Assist Pastor in organizing and teaching Confirmation Class.
- Attend Education Team meetings as an ex-officio member.
- Administer the church’s “Trust with Care” policy.
- Submit a written report annually to the congregation.
- Relate directly to the Education Team; attend Education Team meetings.
- Meet regularly with Pastor.
- The total compensation package will depend on qualifications and experience.
- There will be a performance review three months after employment begins by the Christian Education Planning Team.
- There will be an annual review based on the goals and expectations of this position by the Personnel Team.
First Congregational Church
(a congregation of the United Church of Christ)
109 Continental Avenue
River Edge, NJ 07661