Job Opportunity with the First Church of Christ in Hartford, Connecticut (Center Church, UCC)
Position Posting for the First Church of Christ in Hartford, Connecticut (Center Church, UCC)
To download this Job Opportunity as a PDF, please click HERE
The Warburton Director of Outreach Ministries will carry out the mission and vision of Center Church to connect its members with the community and assist the community through its members and resources. The vision of the Warburton Resource and Outreach Center includes direct service, connecting people in need to opportunities for assistance, and empowering the congregation of Center Church as we live out our call to discipleship.
Terms of employment:
- 35 hours weekly; salary $40,000
- Benefits include health and dental insurance coverage, as well as UCC pension and disability insurance
- Two weeks’ vacation and two weeks continuing education annually
- Position is a three-year term, beginning with a six month probationary period, after which the policies of the church’s personnel manual will govern the position.
- Work closely with the Minister of Center Church and the Board of Outreach.
- Participate fully in the life of Center Church, keeping a flexible schedule allowing time to attend meetings and church social gatherings.
- Ability to be flexible to “fill in the holes,” in response to ongoing and rising social needs and issues.
- Nurture partnerships with the city’s organizations and institutions in order to further the vision and mission of Center Church and the Warburton Trustees (e.g. Hands on Hartford, Christian Activities Council, Charter Oak Cultural Center, Trinity College, Goodwin College, Family Life Education).
- Keep office hours at the Warburton Resource and Outreach Center of Center Church’s drop-in center (“WROCC”) Wednesdays (9:30am-1:30pm) and Thursdays (1:00pm-5:00pm) in order to assist people in need, and outside of these hours in order to assist the Minister in administering charitable funds (Hartford Hospital Bed Funds, Social Services Fund).
- Explore new initiatives in consultation with the Minister and the Board of Outreach.
- Interact with organizations in the city to provide referrals for specific services that are needed by those who come to us for help, and to make these organizations aware of resources available through Center Church.
- Provide information about volunteer and mission opportunities to both church members and the larger community through our E-News, website, bulletins, newsletters, and postings in front of our buildings, and by being a presence at/during Sunday Worship.
- Two or three times a year preach at Center Church; occasionally make announcements or give mission updates in worship.
- Identify and solicit funding and other resources to support Center Church’s urban ministries.
- Coordinate and oversee the WROCC’s Sunday Meals program: maintain strong ties with participating churches, work closely with the Board of Outreach to promote WROCC in the city, and to increase the number of partners.
- Coordinate the Sunday Morning Coffee Ministry: purchase supplies, line up volunteers, promote participation by members and by potential partners in the wider community.
- Coordinate volunteers for other initiatives including Community Meals (at Christ Church Cathedral), Walk Against Hunger, MANNA Food Drive, MANNA Coat Drive, Winter Warming Center, and other church initiatives as they arise.
- The Warburton Director reports directly to the Minister.
- Evaluation will be in line with the Church’s Personnel Handbook.
- Knowledge of and experience in how to make social services available to those in need
- Fluency in use of MS Office applications, social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) and Internet functions (Google, etc.)
- Ability and desire to work with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Ability and desire to work within a community of faith and to help the community reflect theologically about the intersection of faith and public life
- Ability to function as a team worker as well as a self-starter
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Master of Divinity or seminary training and/or social work training and experience working with a faith community preferred.
- Finally, it is essential that the applicant embrace Center Church’s commitment to being Open to and Affirming of the LGBTQ community, welcoming immigrants, racial and gender equity and justice, and honoring those of all faiths or no faith.