Job Opportunity at The Church of the Village, NYC
Minister for Leadership and Congregational Development Job Description
The Church of the Village (United Methodist) is located at
201 W. 13th St. (at 7th Avenue), New York, NY 10011
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with an employment application. Application available for download at churchofthevillage.org/
We are creating a diverse and dynamic community centered in Christ’s message of love, justice, and courage to transform the world. The Church of the Village is a progressive, radically inclusive, and anti-racist faith community. We seek to provide a deep and transformative experience of the divine among us. While our journey together is imperfect, we are committed in all that we do to overcome racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, and other systemic social sins. The Church of the Village community is diverse in racial and ethnic composition, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and economic status. We strive hard to make our facilities accessible to those with differing physical and mental abilities.
Position Objective and Description:
Our objective is to provide excellent pastoral leadership under the guidance of the Spirit of God – incorporating love, compassion, and justice. The person in this position will work to help all of
our members discover and develop gifts and abilities for leadership within themselves and others. In doing so, we will attract new persons to our community and grow spiritually and in numbers. The Minister of Leadership and Congregational Development is responsible for developing and strengthening the lay leadership of our community and deepening the commitment to discipleship of our leaders.
Application deadline: July 12, 2019
Interviews: Through July 26
Target Start Date: No later than August 5
Expected Time Commitment:
Full-time pastors are expected to work more than 40 hours a week. The specific time commitments of this position will include:
- Wednesday 1-3 pm – Worship Vision Team Meeting
- Sundays 9:30-12:30 plus – Sunday Worship and meetings after worship some Sundays
- Weekly pastoral staff meeting, 1 to 1½ hours.
- Additional hours devoted to leadership development and relationship building.
- Preparation for preaching one Sunday a month
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Character and Qualifications:
- Theological training – preferably a Master of Divinity degree. Ordination is not required, but is considered a plus. Candidates do not need to be United Methodist , but familiarity with United Methodist theology and polity is preferred.
- We seek a person of deep faith and progressive theology, who is generally aligned with the mission and core principles of The Church of the Village (see our Mission Statement and Core Principles).
- Ability to articulate and share from your own personal spiritual journey.
- Commitment to social justice for all, including people of all races, ethnicities, ages, abilities, economic levels, sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
- Demonstrated leadership ability. Able to lead ministry teams and small group studies. Able to develop and improve leadership abilities of members of the congregation.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Lead Pastor, Minister of Worship Arts, Worship Committee chair, Lay Leaders, and other leaders of the COTV community.
- Creative, outgoing, enthusiastic, and comfortable connecting with people and fostering connections between people. An inviting, embracing, magnetic personality.
- A self-starter and able to take initiative.
- Flexible and responsible.
- Forgiving of herself/himself/themself and others.
- Pastoral care training and experience providing pastoral care is a plus.
Supervision and Evaluation:
The Minister for Leadership and Congregational Development reports directly to the Lead
Pastor. A performance evaluation meeting will be held at least annually with the Lead Pastor and
the Personnel Committee.
Evaluations will be conducted with the following parameters in mind:
- Demonstrated capacity to excel in the functions outlined in the position described above.
- Demonstrated growth in the areas on which she/he/they is focusing as outlined in the position described above.
To apply, submit the application with a cover letter and resume to QuiShaun Hill, Administrative Associate at email@example.com.